Wednesday 19 January 2011

Double Homework and Detention!

Who knew when i was that teenager who rushed triumphantly out the school gates feeling free from the shackles of essays, projects and other assorted homework that I'd find myself back to toiling my way through a mountain of homework that doesn't even belong to me!

Currently I'm leading heavy critical discussion on the merits and demerits of 'Abortion'; Debating whether Julius Caesar's behaviour and actions contributed to his own downfall and supporting an important compare and contrast thesis between Francis Bacon's 'Three Studies for a Crucifixion' and Pablo Picasso's 'Crucifixion'.

It's not that I mind helping too much, it's more that I feel increasingly that I'm doing the job teachers get paid to do. It seems that my youngest monkey has never been shown how to construct a logical argument, how to back up his points of view with appropriate quotes, how to arrange the running order of an essay of different kinds and more importantly how to research enough material from reputable sources. Apparently, the school recommended Wikipedia and there was much disbelief and protest when i pointed out that anyone could upload information to this site.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised after all teachers are so far behind the technology charge that they probably feel techno-wizards when they put their lesson plans onto 'Power Point'... Hope no one tells them that even flash presentations are getting old hat incase they regress back to OHP's to find comfort and put all the school kids into detention for being smartarses!

Teachers eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment